Our 2 pumpkins--the one on the left came from Walmart, the big one on the right came from the pumpkin patch today. I love it's funky stem.

I brought a bowl out so that we could seperate out the pumpkin seeds to roast them. Lily decided the bowl would make a good hat. By the way, you may be thinking that Lily's outfit looks an awful lot like PJs and specifically an awful lot like winter themed PJs with snowmen on them (and that the top has marker all over it). You may be right...on all counts. However, it was the warmest thing I could find that passed for an outfit...better than her zip-up Christmas PJs with the gingerbread-man on them that she's been sleeping in. This super cold weather kind of caught me off guard. Silly me thought we might have a week of fall before it turned to winter!

Getting ready to make the first cut. Growing up, my family got pumpkins and carved them every year. I remember hating to scoop out the seeds! We would all get a marker and draw a face on our pumpkin--I think mine was the same every year--and my dad would bring out a huge kitchen knife and cut the face out for us. Bryan got fancy and bought a little kit with stencils and special tools.

Lily was very interested by what was in the pumpkin.


The all too important job she created of wiping the pumpkin.

Once Lily noticed my job of seperating the seeds from the guts (I don't know what to call the stringy slimey stuff inside a pumpkin, so I'm going with guts), she thought that was far more interesting than the actual carving. She was my helper.


Lily "helped" her Daddy tape the stencil on the pumpkin. And by helped, I mean put random pieces of tape random places on the pumpkin.

Bryan worked really hard on the two pumpkins. We each picked a design--mine was a skull that was ranked as 1 pumpkin on the easy to hard scale of 1 to 4 pumpkins, 1 being the easiest. His is the words "Trick or Treat" which ranked 3 pumpkins. He was cursing himself halfway through. 
Bryan's homemade shiv for a pumpkin knife. Yeah, both knives that came in the fancy kit were broken before he'd even finished one pumpkin.

Bryan's homemade shiv for a pumpkin knife. Yeah, both knives that came in the fancy kit were broken before he'd even finished one pumpkin.



No comments:
Post a Comment