Monday, March 9, 2009

Blue-Eyed Girl

Lily had what I was hoping to be her last pediatric opthamologist appointment today. She went for the first time when she was about 8 weeks old because her eyes were not alligned properly. I noticed and though everyone told me I was crazy, I insisted she see the opthamologist about it. The first time that he saw us, he felt like she was just having trouble figuring out how to coordinate them because she'd arrived early and had us come back several weeks later for another check. At that time, he felt like they were better but that they sometimes looked misalligned because she has a wide nasal bridge. He wanted to see Lily at a year of age. We moved to Mississippi prior to her first birthday and we saw a doctor out there, who thought the same thing as the doctor here, but wanted her seen at 2 years of age just to be certain. I feel like her eyes look great now and I thought for sure that the doctor was going to clear her to not come back anymore. However, he still noticed some possible misallignment and though he feels it's just psuedomisallignment because of her wide nasal bridge, because there is a family history of some eye issues and because eye issues are genetic, he still wants us to come back in 12-18 months for another follow-up. I am of the "better safe than sorry" school of thought, so I'm fine with it, though a little surprised.
By the way, Tyra Banks said that supermodels tend to have wide nasal bridges, so I think I have picked out Lily's future career. Today when Bryan asked her if she was a supermodel, she nodded "Yes" so there you have it!!
I also scheduled Lily's kidney testing for next week, so everyone say a prayer for us please.

I am including a pic of Lily in May 2007 for those of you who always say I'm lying when I talk about how her eyes used to be. I am aware they are not that bad, but because we are still being seen, I feel like we were right in seeing someone about them. When I first brought it up to the ped, she said you can tell if they are actually misalligned or just look that way by ensuring that when you shine a light at the eyes, it should reflect back in the same spot on both eyes. You can see by the flash of the camera that it is not in the same spot on both eyes. The problem with getting the ped to give us a referral to an opthamologist was that it wasn't like this all of the time, it only wandered every so often.

Just a cute pic of Lily taken the same night as the one above. It was my 30th birthday and she was my little present!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you went as far as doctoring a picture...you are sick...my baby never had crazy eyes..

    ReplyDelete