Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Birthday Hall of Fame

For my 3rd birthday, my mom planned a party, sent out invitations, etc. Right before the day of the party, she found out she had to go to a funeral on the scheduled day of the party. She started to make arrangments to postpone my party since she wouldn't be there. My Dad got extremely offended at the insinuation that he could not handle the party without her and insisted she not postpone it. The day of the party arrived and my Dad put my 5 year old brother in charge of games and my 7 year old sister in charge of food. My mom returned and asked me about my birthday party. I looked at her and, totally serious, said "It was the best birthday party any girl could ever ask for." So much for mommy guilt!!

For my 16th birthday, my mom planned a breakfast surprise birthday party. I got to wake up that morning to one of my best friends, Jess, laughing at me sleeping in the bed. It was a great way to start the day!! I think of that birthday party every time I see a commercial for Sweet Sixteen on MTV--no need to arrive by helicopter to make me happy!!

For my 21st birthday, I went out with my roommates and got very very drunk. I got so drunk that I remember thinking, OMG! I've got to get home before I puke or pass out right in the bar. I told my friend, Ashley, that I needed to go and she took one look at my face and knew I meant I needed to go NOW! She lead me out of the bar and tried to go back in to get our friends. Only, I was so wasted that I couldn't even stand still. I was flailing and stumbling about like a crazy person. Sweet and smart Ashley paid a homeless man to watch me and talk to me so that I wouldn't stumble into the street before she returned. I don't remember much after that. That doesn't sound fun at all to me anymore, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed myself at the time.

Yesterday I turned 33 and I had a great birthday!!! I started the day by getting a card from Bryan and a card from the girls. Then Lily and I had a date. We went for her very first hair cut and then mani's and pedi's, which she loves to do! We had so much fun. Then Bryan and I went out for dinner--I can't even remember when we had our last date night, so it was badly needed. I bet you people out there didn't know this, but when you have 2 kids, you have even less time for each other than when you have one child...so it was great to spend some time without our precious girls. From start to finish, it was a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Susan- her hair is so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair looks so cute! I love it. Hope she likes it too and it's easy to manage.

    ReplyDelete