Monday, October 27, 2008

Make New Friends, but Keep the Old. One is Silver and the Other's Gold.

My good friend, Elizabeth and her husband and their almost 2 year old came to visit this weekend in Madison. Our first visitors to our "new" house!!!! We had so much fun with them--they stayed here in our little tiny guest-room and we mostly just hung out.

I guess in comparison, Elizabeth is one of my newer friends. We have known each other about 4 years, which sounds like a long time, but considering I have some close friends that I met my freshman year in college (I don't even like to think how many years ago that was!), 4 years seems shorter. However, Eliz and I clicked immediately when we met and have been close ever since. We have a lot in common and have a lot of fun together!! I feel like we've been through a lot together considering we were pregnant together and delivered exactly 4 months apart. She was one of the moms I called the morning after our first night home with Lily when I'd gotten an hour and a half of sleep, Lily wouldn't sleep without being held, and I was thinking "What have I gotten myself into?!?"
Anyway, I was really glad they came to visit and just had the greatest time! Friday day, it seemed all of the plans I'd thought of were thwarted by places either being closed or packed, but we went to Boo in the Zoo Friday night and had a lot of fun!! We trick or treated there, saw a few animals, and played in the Bounce House, which was the highlight of the night. Eliz and I were in the bounce house with the kids and AJ and Bryan were hanging out outside of it. All of the sudden, the bounce house starts deflating!! The air hose had somehow gotten kinked in the back! We were laughing hysterical. I was able to retain my compusure enough to get the kids out, but could barely get myself out b/c I was laughing too hard. The men were cursing themselves the rest of the weekend for not having the cameras rolling! Both nights, we drank wine and played board games--my favorite kind of night! Saturday, we just hung around the house, cooked out, and watched football, of course! I was very sad to see them go on Sunday.

At Boo in the Zoo--I tried to put Lily in the hippo's lap, but she would have none of that!!

Before the deflation--enjoying the bounce house!


After the deflation--still lauging!!!

Of course, I have some good friends here that are kind enough to not go ahead and phase me out since we're moving! It's always hard to make new friends--especially when you haven't had to do it in a while and when you are someone who likes to be silly and sarcastic and sometimes crude and inappropriate. I was lucky enough to have found friends out here through the MOMS Club that are so much fun and allow me to be silly, invite myself over to their houses, and don't judge me when Lily is being a nutcase toddler. I am really going to miss them after the move but plan on hanging out a lot before then and staying in touch afterwards--thank goodness for the internet!
And of course, once we move, I'll have all of my old friends back in my life again! Since we will be living in a new area, I plan to join the MOMS Club there too so that I can try to make some local friends, but I look forward to hanging with my "old" friends frequently too! As I read back over this blog, I realize how incredibly blessed I am to have so many wonderful people in my life! Thank you for putting up with me! I love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet!!! We had so much fun, but miss you and your fam(I am thankful for the move back since 6hrs in a car w/ a 2year old is not my idea of an awesome time--luckily Ethan was good!). Can't wait to hang out with you, your "semi" "old" friend! love you, e

    ReplyDelete